Janelle & I sometimes like to joke about the benefits to having a child with one hand. Here are a few we have thought of:
- When your baby is trying to grab something they're not supposed to, you can just transfer him/her to your other side
- Less finger nails to trim
- Less hand prints on the windows and mirrors
- It doesn't matter as much if they lose a mitten. You can just use the other one. (I suggest buying pairs that don't have a designated left or right so it doesn't matter which hand they wear it on)
- Can't get into jars/bottles/containers/ziploc bags as easily (enjoy it while it lasts because they'll figure it out eventually!)
- Only one hand that interferes with nursing, particularly as a newborn
- Less chance of slamming your fingers in a door or drawer!
- Less chance of getting called for "hand ball" during soccer!
- Meeting lots of cool people!
Please let me know if you can think of any others!