June 26, 2010

Discrimination

I have vented before about the child modeling agency that Gavin is involved with. You wouldn't even know he was affiliated with them if it weren't for his profile on their website.

When I asked why he wasn't getting booked, first she said that clients get scared when they learn that he has one hand. When I called her out on that she started backpedaling and then blamed it on the fact that he wasn't in the right clothing size. Clients mostly book size 18 months. So we figured we would see what happened now that he is in that size. Well now he is almost grown out of that size and still hasn't had anything.

A few weeks ago I sent her this message:
"Here are some updated pictures of Gavin. He is 22 months now, still wearing mostly size 18 months. I will weigh him and take his height tomorrow.

I still think its crazy that he is not getting booked. Everywhere we go people stop us to tell us how cute he is. He has a lot of personality too.

He loves to say cheese and sing and talk. He also knows a lot of sign language. He is very active, with good balance and can do anything that kids with 2 hands can do.

I know that there are people out there who would be proud to show that beautiful children come in all different shapes and sizes. And unfortunately, anyone who doesn't want to give him a chance is missing out."

She updated his profile but didn't even have the decency to respond to me. I find that extremely rude!

I guess we should just remove him from the agency because she is clearly not advocating for him at all. We could really care less if he models or not. The only thing that upsets me is that I KNOW he is being discriminated against. I know if he had 2 hands he would be getting booked.

And his adorable friend Gabby (who is also an LBE) has not had any bookings in the 2 years she has been with them either. So obviously something is wrong.

Just look at how adorable they are and please explain to me why no one would want to give them a chance?

It makes me so incredibly sad and frustrated. All we want to do is spread awareness that children with limb differences are capable of doing EVERYTHING that other children can do.

Right now they are too young to understand how unfair this world can be. I dread the moment that they are faced with the harsh realization of how ignorant some people are.

No comments:

Post a Comment