August 29, 2010

They're all gonna laugh at you

So yesterday I had a lovely conversation with my Gramma G. She asked me if Gavin has an artificial hand yet and I told her that he does have one, but its too small and he needs a new one.

Her response: "Well you better get him one before he starts school or all the kids are going to make fun of him!"

I told her that actually, kids will find something to make fun of no matter what...whether he has no hand, a plastic hand, a weird eye...

She said, "He doesn't have a weird eye!"

"Yes, I KNOW Gramma, but I'm just saying...kids make fun of kids. I have 2 hands and I still got made fun of. EVERY kid gets made of for SOMETHING. Gavin won't be any different. He'll just have to be a little tough."

She said, "Well he'll have to be A LOT tough."

OK Gramma, thanks for your encouraging words.

3 comments:

  1. He and you will do just fine!!!! We have already been through two years of school. It's just what we have to deal with once in a while. Kids make fun of kids, limb different or not. I concur with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Meg! I think you're 100% right. Kids will make fun of your clothes, your laugh, if you're a good kid or bad kid--there are no limits.
    Whenever I know that someone is trying to help but doesn't quite understand I always think " People are weird", and that includes family too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 2 boys 5 & 7, and I'm amazed at their (and their friends) capacity for acceptance. The fun guy who runs our local diner is very prominently missing part of his arm, and my children love him but have never once asked me about it. When they eventually do, it will probably be in the greater context of someone they already "know."

    Best,
    S. Pinneo (Julias__Child)

    ReplyDelete